2019 Film Competition and Selection Requirements:
Filmmakers entering films for competition must complete and send in the entry form and fee (if applicable). A screening committee will evaluate and select films to be presented at the 2019 MIFF. During the Festival, a jury of industry professionals will select category winners, with the exception of the Audience and People’s Choice Awards, which will be decided by the voting audience.
Criteria for Submission:
- Good News! Extended Submission Deadline to February 7, 2019.
- All films must be in English or have English subtitles. Non-subtitled or dubbed foreign language films will not be considered.
- All clearances must be obtained for exhibition.
- Entries may be submitted on DVD (preferably NTSC format) with a label indicating the title and running time. Entries may also be submitted online. If submitting online, please submit to
- Only the Producer, Director, Screenwriter or someone closely connected to the film may complete the application.
- Schools may submit films on behalf of student filmmakers in the Student Category.
- Only complete entries will be accepted. This includes the non-refundable entry fee, (paid to the order of Desert Love Community Development), any DVDs, digital files, or online screeners.
Film Competition Categories:
- Feature-length films (narrative or documentary) must be 40 minutes in length or longer.
- Short films (narrative, documentary, experimental, and student films) must be 39 minutes in length or less.
- Big Mans films (narrative, documentary, experimental, Student Film) must be filmed in Texas, and the subject matter must somehow be about Texas. Must be 39 minutes in length or less.
- Student films must have been completed after January 1, 2018 and proof of enrollment is required. Student films may not exceed 30 minutes.
- Although MIFF is a competitive festival, some films may be included in the program in a non-competition section.
Unfortunately, MIFF is unable to provide comments about films not accepted to the competition due to time and resource constraints. DVDs and online screeners will NOT be returned.
Selected filmmakers may expect the following:
- Filmmakers whose films are accepted for competition will be notified by email by approximately February 15, 2019.
- All the privileges due filmmakers will be specified in this correspondence.
- Each accepted film is entitled to one (1) VIP pass, giving free access to all events and screenings (subject to availability) at the Festival.
- These passes are non-transferable and must be worn at all times in clear view. Passes are not sent by mail but must be picked up in person at the designated Festival site.
- MIFF promotes the schedule of screenings via media including newspapers, emails, programs, and radio. MIFF encourages filmmakers to help promote their films by promoting their screening(s) to industry professionals, distributors, the press, and the general public.
- For entries selected to the competition, an exhibition print or video of the film in proper format (DCP, Bluray, MP4, MOV, or H.264) must be received by MIFF no later than February 22, 2019. Failure to comply with technical specifications may result in the removal of the film from competition.
- Filmmakers may not install banners or posters at the theaters without the official authorization of MIFF.
Rules, Regulations, Terms, and Conditions:
- The management of Mansfield International Film Festival reserves the right to decide all questions regarding rules and regulations. Submission of a film constitutes that the filmmaker accepts the rules and regulations set forth herein.
- MIFF is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes.
- The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations. The individual or corporation submitting this film additionally grants the Mansfield International Film Festival the right to one or more public screenings of the entry during the dates of April 6-10, 2019.
- The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless the Mansfield International Film Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.
- Entries that are incomplete or unavailable for screening prior to February 1, 2019 must be pulled, or the film will be screened as entered.
- The management of MIFF reserves the right to decide all questions regarding rules and regulations.
Deadlines for Submission
- Early bird- Oct 3rd – $40
- Regular- Oct 31st – $55
- Late- Nov 29th – $75
- Extended Dec 29th – $85
Submit Your Film By Mail
If mailing in your Submission, please print and fill out Submission Application Form and mail with your Submission. Don’t forget to pay for your submission online or your submission will not be reviewed. (Click here for application)
Additional questions? Please call 469-399-7337, visit the website at http://texasmiff.com, or email firstname.lastname@example.org